The chilly weather calls for brewing some yummy soups and stews. This week You! features the recipe for Mulligatawny soup – a hearty root vegs and chicken soup, spiced with curry powder. Happy slurping!
Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Black mustard seeds 1 tsp
Onion (coarsely grated) 1
Carrots (coarsely grated) 2
Garlic cloves (finely grated) 3
Ginger (finely grated) a thumb-sized piece
Cooked chicken (shredded) 400g
Mild curry powder 1 tbsp
Chicken stock 1 litre
Basmati rice 75g
Coriander leaves a few, to serve
• Heat the vegetable oil in a large lidded pan or casserole and cook the cumin and mustard seeds for a few minutes until they begin to pop.
• Then add all of the grated veg, along with a large pinch of salt.
• Put on the lid and cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring regularly, until softened.
• Stir in the shredded chicken and curry powder, and cook for a few minutes before pouring in the stock.
• Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the rice and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
• Season and serve scattered with coriander leaves.
Prep time: 1 hour Serves 4
Credits: Adam Bush (Olive Magazine)